If you’ve had fever blisters before, you know that the first symptoms include tingling, itching, and irritation. With Orajel Single Dose Cold Sore Gel, you can get the instant relief that you need from the discomfort.
Alternatively, it can be used during the worst stages of a blister to provide soothing relief and speed up the healing time. Getting rid of a blister quickly is what most people need because that’s when it hurts most.
There are many benefits of using Orajel. It’s not just a fancy brand name. With many positive reviews and success stories, it has become a go-to product for getting rid of cold sores.
This article will cover the most valuable features of Orajel Single Dose Cold Sore Gel. With so many treatments available, knowing which one will work best for you is vitally important.
How Does It Work?
As soon as you feel the first signs of a cold sore, reaching for this product can help to keep it at bay, or reduce the pain and healing time. The packaging contains a dose of gel in a small vial. When you feel a cold sore coming on, rub all of the gel from the vial directly onto the affected area.
Some suggest that rubbing it more firmly is the key to getting the most out of the solution. This also helps you to use the entire vial of gel in one application. By applying pressure when you squeeze out the gel, you’re helping it to penetrate the skin, and to the sore itself.
For even better results, apply it all around the sore as well, from different angles. Applying some of the gel, allowing it to dry, and then applying the rest is also a great way to ensure it has soaked into the skin and can do its job.
Once all the medicine is gone from the applicator, you should expect immediate relief from pain and swelling. In just one dosage, these common symptoms of a fever blister should diminish greatly, especially if you caught it early. However, even if you have a cold sore in its later stages, it can help to decrease the discomfort and burning sensation you might feel.
Getting the medication to work in just one use requires that you penetrate the skin. But, the extra effort is worth it to soothe symptoms right away. Plus, then you don’t have to worry about another application of any treatment.
CLICK HERE to Read Customer Reviews & Check the Current Price of Orajel on Amazon!
Why Is Orajel So Effective?
The key ingredient that allows Orajel to work after just one use is Benzocaine. It works as an antiseptic to help heal blisters faster. It can also help to soothe the symptoms associated with the sore, such as itching and burning.
In addition to this active ingredient, Orajel has specially-formulated their treatment to work quickly. It’s a topical anesthetic that will stop the cold sore from spreading, no matter what the stage. That’s why applying it early can help to alleviate most of the negative symptoms before they become too irritating or painful.
How To Use It
Because it only requires a one-time use, the step-by-step process for applying it couldn’t be easier. Follow the steps below:
- Make sure the cold sore and surrounding area of your mouth are clean. Wipe away any creams, ointments, lip balms, etc. You can do this with warm water or rubbing alcohol. Ensuring the area is clean will allow the medicine to penetrate the skin deeper, and will reduce the risk of any other type of debris getting in the blister.
- Break open the single dose vial. The top is covered with a protective blue paper that will need to be removed. Once you remove it, squeeze the vial until you hear a snapping sound. Hold the applicator tip down and let the medication soak through the tip.
- Place the saturated applicator tip directly onto the cold sore, rubbing it in as much as possible in that direct spot.
- Within 30 seconds, you’ll feel a numbing sensation. This indicates that the medication is working, and will provide instant soothing relief if you’re experiencing pain or itching.
- Once the area is numb, you can rub the applicator more vigorously on the sore and surrounding area. Use circular motions to rub it firmly into the skin. This will allow for a deeper penetration of the medication, allowing it to work faster.
- Throw the used applicator away. There is no need to re-apply.
Value for Money
There are other cold sore treatment options that contain benzocaine and other topical antiseptic ingredients. Some people might wonder if Orajel is better, or if it is just more expensive because it’s a brand name.
While other products with benzocaine may be effective in healing cold sores with time, this single dose medication has additional benefits to consider. First, you don’t have to apply it each day. Its value increases since it comes with two vials. But, in most cases, you can save the second vial for a different fever blister flare up.
Second, Orajel has taken cleanliness and the risk of the virus spreading into account. You never have to touch a cream or gel with your hands. Everything is perfectly compact. The medication goes on the designated applicator tip, and then directly on the sore. After that, you don’t have to reuse the applicator, so there is no need to worry about cross-contamination.
Finally, because the product contains so much potency in a single dosage, it helps to alleviate discomfort right away. For many people dealing with these painful blisters, the discomfort, itching, and redness can be the worst part. Being able to use a product that can provide soothing relief instantly is well worth it.
Side effects with this single-dose product are rare. Most people won’t experience any adverse reaction, but if you experience additional irritation after using it, contact your doctor. You may have an allergy to benzocaine or an additional ingredient within the formula. You may experience a tingling sensation if you use the medication on a blister that has opened up. It shouldn’t cause additional pain or burning and will cause the blister to go numb after a few seconds. Remember, even though adverse effects are very rare, they can still be serious. Do not hesitate to contact your physician if you feel any kind of discomfort.
Pros and Cons
Even though it’s one of the most popular solutions for cold sores, this treatment may not be for everyone. Here are a few of the main pros and cons to consider before choosing it for your blister outbreak.
- Single-dose formula
- Numbs away pain almost instantly
- No cross-contamination
- Penetrates deep into the skin
- Compact and convenient – easy to travel with
- Inexpensive – package contains two doses
- Some people may require more than one dose
- Best if used at the first sign of a cold sore
If you’re prone to fever blister outbreaks, keeping doses of this medication around can help to keep them from becoming too severe. While the medicine will work at any stage, you may need more than one dosage if the sore has reached the scabbing stage, so it has a chance to penetrate through the skin.
This easy-to-use medication is so popular for a reason. Not only does it continuously get rave reviews, but it’s one of the most convenient ways to heal cold sores fast. Plus, with no messy creams or gels to worry about, you can feel good knowing the medicine is going exactly where it needs to – not all over your hands, etc.
If you know the symptoms of a flare-up, being able to treat them right away can greatly shorten up the healing time of your cold sore. Thankfully, because these single doses are so compact, you can take them with you almost anywhere you go. So, you’ll never have to wait until your blister becomes extremely painful to start treatment.
Whether you get cold sores frequently, or you’re experiencing one for the first time and want fast relief, Orajel Single Dose Cold Sore Gel is a great solution. In just minutes, you’ll experience less pain. Within a matter of days, your cold sore could be almost completely healed. If you don’t want a cold sore to slow down your busy lifestyle, a one-dose treatment that works is truly beneficial.
|Convenience:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Results:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Speed:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Value:||(5.0 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.4 / 5)|
- Al-Samadani KH, Gazal G. Effectiveness of benzocaine in reducing deep cavity restoration and post-extraction stress in dental patients. Saudi Medical Journal. 2015;36(11):1342-1347. doi:10.15537/smj.2015.11.12274.
- Eslamian L, Gholami H, Mortazavi SA, Soheilifar S. Effect of 5% benzocaine gel on relieving pain caused by fixed orthodontic appliance activation. A double‐blind randomized controlled trial. Orthodontics and Craniofacial Research 2016;19:190‐7.
- Hersh EV, Ciancio SG, Kuperstein AS, et al. An evaluation of 10 percent and 20 percent benzocaine gels in patients with acute toothaches: Efficacy, tolerability and compliance with label dose administration directions. Journal of the American Dental Association (1939). 2013;144(5):517-526.
Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API