Herpotherm (formerly called ‘Hot Kiss’ is a one-of-a-kind at-home medical device that allows you to get rid of cold sores fast through a concentrated heat source. There are no additional ‘ingredients’ involved – everything you need is included in the device itself.
When the concentrated heat is applied directly to the blister, it helps to keep the herpes simplex virus (HSV1) from reproducing. This reduces the effect of the virus and will shrink the cold sore quickly.
If you’re prone to getting cold sores, and you’re tired of using different over-the-counter solutions that aren’t as effective as you’d like, why not try something new? This article will offer a full review of the Herpotherm Heat Treatment for Cold Sores. That way, you can decide if this unique and innovative product is what you need to get rid of cold sores for good.
While Herpotherm doesn’t require any creams or gels to make it effective, it does require a battery (included with purchase). That’s all you need to get started. Follow the steps below to use it safely, and for best results:
- Remove the cap from the applicator.
- Apply the applicator directly to the affected area.
- Activate Herpotherm – as an indicator, the gold spot on the applicator will start to warm up.
- After just four seconds, you’ll hear a beep indicating that the process is finished.
- Remove the applicator from the affected area.
- Repeat as necessary.
In just a few seconds a day, you can remove unsightly and painful cold sores, without having to worry about making a mess or leaving something on your mouth for too long. Plus, it’s compact – no bigger than a tube of lipstick.
Cold sores can happen at any time, so keeping the device with you wherever you go means you can use it at the first sign of a sore, or throughout the cycle of a blister. Plus, it only takes a few seconds to work each time, so it’s even faster than most over-the-counter creams that need time to penetrate the skin fully.
CLICK HERE to Read the Latest Reviews & Check Pricing on Amazon!
Does It Deliver Fast Results?
Herpotherm gets rave reviews from people who have been suffering from cold sores and haven’t been able to find another treatment solution. It works by applying a very specific amount of concentrated heat on the cold sore, between 50-51 degrees Celsius. What does that heat do, exactly?
It has been shown through products like these that the right amount of heat can denature the enzymes of the cells that are affected by HSV-1. It will only deconstruct the virus, and won’t harm healthy cells.
This type of heat helps to prevent the virus from spreading and reproducing. Simply put, it stops the blister in its tracks from getting any worse. This can speed up the healing time significantly, depending on when you start the treatment.
Ideally, you should use Herpotherm at the first sign of a cold sore. Some initial symptoms to look out for include:
- Tingling around the mouth
- Itching or burning
If you’ve experienced cold sores before, you know your own warning signs better than anyone. The minute you start to feel those symptoms, start using the applicator. In some cases, you may be able actually to prevent an outbreak from happening. The sooner you start using it, the less likely it is that the cold sore will end up being severe. Even if you already have a blister, you can still use the device during any point of the cold sore’s lifespan.
Herpotherm is considered a medical device. However, you don’t need a prescription to use it. If you regularly get cold sores, a device like this can be well worth it to shrink them quickly with no pain. If you’re looking for an FDA-approved alternative, feel free to read our Virulite cold sore machine review.
Even though there are no creams or other ingredients needed for Herpotherm to be effective, it does take a battery, which cannot be recharged. If you use the device frequently, the battery will need to be replaced.
This device uses a lithium CR2 3V battery. It’s a common battery that can be purchased just about anywhere. How often the battery needs to replace will be reflective of how much the product is used. Keep in mind that it is only ‘on’ for several seconds at a time, so it has a fairly long battery life.
Be sure to follow the directions on the Herpotherm packaging to install the battery correctly. Twist the base gently to remove the battery and install a new one. Never force the base back onto the unit, or it could crack. Incorrect installation could break the battery connector, and the device won’t work.
Is It Safe To Use?
It’s easy to get a bit skeptical about electronic products that are meant to take away skin imperfections, sores, or other health-related problems on the face. However, this device is completely safe for even sensitive skin. As with any product, though, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind as you use it regularly.
- Herpotherm should only be used by one person. Don’t share devices. This can increase the chance of infection or the spreading of the herpes simplex virus.
- Don’t use the device for extended periods of time after it indicates it’s done with each process. Follow the instructions carefully.
- Before using on cold sores near the eye, contact your doctor to make sure it’s completely safe.
The developers of this device have also taken certain safety measures into account. One extra feature is the gold-plated contact patch. This makes direct application safe and effective, even for people who may be allergic to chrome or nickel, and usually can’t use products like this. There are also no harmful chemicals involved.
When you purchase the product, the initial kit also comes with disinfecting wipes. The herpes simplex virus is spread so easily, and can continue to live on objects for a while. Other bacteria from your mouth or skin could also get on the applicator during each use. The disinfecting wipes are designed to be used after each application. Once they run out, any brand of disinfecting wipes should offer the same benefits.
Pros and Cons
Because Herpotherm is such a unique product, many questions tend to go along with it. Why is it better or worse than an over-the-counter cream? Let’s take a look at some of its best key features, and some drawbacks to consider.
- It is roughly the size of a tube of lipstick. This makes it perfect for traveling, keeping in your purse, etc., without the risk of any messy creams spilling out anywhere.
- It is safe and effective at any stage of a cold sore.
- If you have a chrome or nickel allergy, you can safely use it, thanks to the gold-plated contact patch.
- No harmful chemicals.
- Each treatment works in just seconds.
- Battery life may seem short for some people, depending on use.
- It is designed for consistent use, several times a day, instead of just a one-time treatment.
The benefits outweigh the disadvantages in many ways. You may have to use the device several times a day to get fast results. But, because it’s so portable, and only takes seconds to work, it’s not much of an inconvenience. As long as you make sure you have a backup battery available as needed, you shouldn’t run into any serious issues with this product.
Herpotherm is truly a unique way to get rid of cold sores quickly. Even if you don’t get cold sores frequently, keeping it on hand can help to prevent any outbreaks you might start to experience. It can even get rid of an unsightly blister at any stage. So, it’s the perfect solution for anyone who has ever experienced a fever blister and doesn’t want to go through it again.
With a simplistic design, portability, and virtually no negative side effects to worry about, this is a great device for healing cold sores in just seconds a day. If you’re tired of different creams or other over-the-counter treatments, but you don’t want to deal with the discomfort or embarrassment of a nasty cold sore blister, it’s worth giving Herpotherm a try. If you prefer to use cream, we recommend HERP-B-GONE cold sore cream.
We hope this review has been helpful. When discussing such a unique product, it’s easy to have questions. We hope those questions were answered within this review, and you can feel confident in knowing if Herpotherm is the right cold sore treatment for you.
|Convenience:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Results:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Speed:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Value:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.1 / 5)|
- Schlippe G, Voss W, Brenn LC. Application and tolerability of Herpotherm® in the treatment of genital herpes. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2013;6:163-166. doi:10.2147/CCID.S41145.
- Wohlrab J, Voß F, Müller C, Brenn LC. The use of local concentrated heat versus topical acyclovir for a herpes labialis outbreak: results of a pilot study under real life conditions. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2013;6:263-271. doi:10.2147/CCID.S49273.
- Ramchandani M, Kong M, Tronstein E, et al. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Shedding in Tears, and Nasal and Oral Mucosa of Healthy Adults. Sexually transmitted diseases. 2016;43(12):756-760. doi:10.1097/OLQ.0000000000000522.
Last update on 2023-06-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API